Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The X-men

All my life I have been a fan of comic books and superheroes. One of my earliest memories was when my mother took me to see Superman in the theaters. Since then I have been hooked on comic book lore. So I thought it was especially cool that we chose to watch The X-men movie for rhetorical analysis in ENG-111.

The X-men are a group of superhuman individuals called mutants. This "superhuman" trait is the result of a spike, or leap in human evolution. Thus granting them powers beyond what any normal human being could possibly achieve. Led by professor Xavier, The X-men fight for a peaceful human/mutant coexistance.

On the other hand, Erik Lehnsherr aka Magneto (a powerful mutant with the ability to control magnetic fields) has a different agenda. He has been exposed to the ugliness of mankind after being seperated from his parents in a concentration camp during World War II. He feels that humans have no place in the next evolutionary step.

What I found particularly interesting about veiwing this film along with the class, is the parallels they were able to draw between fantasy and reality. The X-men can be looked at as minorities´ fight for equal rights. One person in class even suggested that Professor Xavier is to Martin Luther King as Magneto is to Malcolm X. Both Professor X and Martin Luther King believed strongly in the preservation of peace and promotion of harmony. While Magneto and early Malcolm X, would both operate under the model "by any means necessary,"a more militant aproach.

I love this film not only because it is the X-men movie, that while growing up, I used to hope and pray they would make, but also because it tell a great story of the quest for equality and the triumph of good over evil.

No comments: