Friday, December 5, 2008

Supersize Me!




It’s Saturday night, around 2 a.m., and I just left the club. So before I decide to call it a night, I pull up to the local McDonald’s around my house. Aside from the fact that I was hungry, I had intentions of evading the morning hangover by attempting to absorb the gallon of beer and liquor I indulged in earlier. I ordered a double-cheeseburger, fries, a four piece chicken nuggets, and coke.

As I was waiting in the drive-thru line, I started to think about the film we watched in Eng-111. ‘Supersize Me’ is a film where the director, producer, and writer of the film, Morgan Spurlock, goes on a 30 day McDonalds binge. Whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner, everything he consumes must be from a McDonald’s restaurant. Throughout the film, Morgan goes through different changes physically and mentally. He gained 25lbs and increased his body mass by 12%. His condition got so bad, that at one point his doctor begged him to stop the experiment because of the rate his health was deteriorating. He also experienced mood swings and sexual problems.

Spurlock did a great job by using pathos to persuade people to think twice about McDonalds, or anything they eat from a fast food restaurant. I remember after watching the film, I said to myself that I was never going to eat fast food ever again. It made think seriously about my health and well being. However, one week later, I found myself in line with all the other late night party-goers. I had a choice. I could have either pull off and went home, or had some heart-attack on a bun with one whole cup of sugar and water that made up my coke.

Needless to say, I enjoyed every last bite of it.

Works Cited
Supersize Me. Prod. Dir. Morgan Spurlock. (DVD) Distributor, Year of Release. Showtime Networks Inc. 2004
Image

No comments: